[Harp-L] what makes a good professional player?

As I am considering trying to make a career out of playing harmonica, I am very interested in hearing any answers to the following question: what makes a good professional harp player?

Here is what I already know (some things that I have come to realize I should consider, as well as some things that I figure I've got going for me). Realistically, I can't expect much money (I figure that if I make enough to wear clothes, eat, and sleep somewhere sheltered, then I will be lucky). I will have to be willing to engage in a great deal of self-promotion. I will be up against tight bar managers, etc. It will help me a great deal to sing (which I can do, though there is a lot of room for improvement in that department... however I am confident that I can and will improve with practice). Although I primarily play blues, it would be a great idea for me to become versed in a variety of styles, in order to make session/studio work more feasible. I am willing to relocate and tour. The moment a band breaks up or I have to leave a band for whatever reason, I ought to get involved in another band right away. I think I would very much enjoy teaching harmonica as well. I am clean and sober and intend to stay that way (I say this because we all know that many musicians are not, so I have to figure this is a great asset).

A little more about me... I am 26 years old and have been playing harp and other instruments for about 10 years, and I've constantly been in a variety of bands for all that time (but primarily as a hobby, with some paying gigs here and there). I love almost all kinds of music, though I keep coming back to blues and the harmonica (which I excel at far more than any other instrument). I am reaching a point in my life where the timing is good for me to try to give this a go. For many years now I've been rather haunted (hehehe, is that the right word?) by thoughts such as, "You can do this... you can give it everything you've got..." But to be honest I still have a lot to learn about playing itself (I suspect you will see more questions from me about technique in the near future... practice practice practice)!
So you see where I am. Having said all of the above, if anyone can offer something in response to my original question, I am all ears. Particularly I am interested in what makes a good pro in terms of personality, particularly in the context of band relations/politics (I suspect things can get real sticky the minute a band makes the leap from playing as a hobby to playing for money). But I am interested in hearing any kind of response on or off this list. The prospect of trying this is really exciting but a little frightening at the same time. I feel like if I don't give it a shot, I will regret it for the rest of my life. If it completely flops, perhaps the regrets will be much less...
In any case, thanks for reading this long post.