[Harp-L] Re: Flecktones

At 11:50 PM 5/17/2005 +0200, Planet Harmonica wrote:
>> The Flecktones broke up last year....
>
>AFAIK they didn't split up, they took a sabbatical for a year.

I had VIP access at the Uphonia festival [ http://www.uphoniafest.com ] this
past weekend, thanks to my keyboard kid who was playing in two bands and sat
in with another.  At one point, I was handed a handful of flyers for other
upcoming music festivals [whew!  Seem to be 5 new ones every week nowadays!]
One, the 11th annual Smilefest [ http://www.smilefest.com ] lists the Bela
Fleck Acoustic Trio at the top of of bill.  Another, for the 2006 Jam Cruise,
[ http://www.jamcruise.com ] has the Flecktones topping the bill.  A third
card for the All Good 2005 festival lists the Victor Wooten Band.  So, the
Flecktones are all into their own projects but apparently will reunite by Jam
Cruise 4 in January next year.

BTW, highlights from Uphonia, [aside from not having to pay for beer :) and,
oh yeah, hearing Tony play :)))] were the two late night performances...
Mountain of Venus, fronted by a killer vocalist, Tanya Shylock, who may evoke
visions of Janis Joplin, but is no cheap imitation, for sure.  Fun to hang
with, too!  And The Grease Factor, showcasing Allman Bros.' former keyboard
player, Johnny Neel, incredible drummer Jeff Sipe [ARU, Tedeschi], plus a
phenomenal and entertaining bassist, Neil Fountain, and percussionist Count
M'butu.  If you want extended solos, they are the hallmark of these jam-based
festivals beginning to dominate the music scene these days.  Way too few
harmonicists in them yet, tho'.  Galactic has a great sax/harp player, and
the John Popper Project obviously has harp, but the field is fertile for some
great inroads by harmonica players, I think.  I only heard a keyboardist play
a Melodica at this one, but these fests are so laden with jazz, funk, blues
and rock, it seems natural for harp.  Anyone know of some other groups on the
festival circuits highlighting harmonica?

One more standout to me last weekend I'd like to add... Keller Williams.  Are
you out there, Richard Hunter?  You must check this guy out!  His performance
is like Leo Kottke on steroids!!  His instrument is guitar and bass mostly,
not harp like Richard's, but the stacking of electronic loops created onstage
reminds me of Hunter's performances, except physically more frenetic.  Madcat
might also dig some of what this guy does.  Williams was the one performer I
recall getting called back up for an encore at the festival, and is also near
the top of the list on all 3 of those cards I mentioned above.  That says
something.

http://www.belafleck.com/tourdates.html has more info on Bela's tour dates,
where you'll notice the day before the Smilefest date is one at The Old Town
School of Music in Chicago, IL, on May 27th... known around Harp-L parts as
Joe Filisko's stomping ground.  Now, Joe and Bela... that could really be a
treat!!!

Happy harpin',
Bobbie