[Harp-L] Recorded examples of valved bends

G writes:

Hello Winslow,
  I was interested in your email, especially regarding the range of
valved
bends.  I know Ironman Mike Curtis has also stated that valved bends
could
be taken down a number of semitones as well - I have his album.
  Despite all this, I've yet to hear a musical example successfully
employing valved bends beyond a semitone.
  Would you be so kind as to point us to such a musical excerpt please?

==============Winslow replies:

The most famous example would be Jerry Murad's four semitone bend on
the Harmonicats' recording of "Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White."

Bu-dat-dat-daaaaa---ooooooo---aaaaaaaat, diddly-a-doo-da-da-doo-dee

I think you can see where the bend comes in the above syllabization of
the melody.

I've heard Bill Barrett bend fully valved reeds down even farther but I
can't speak to recordings - perhaps Ben Felten could point out some
examples.

I haven't scanned Brendan Power's recorded output for outlandish valved
bends, but there may be some in tunes like "Space harp". Brendan is the
primary champion of half-valving of both diatonics and chromatics.

Winslow

Yahoo! Mail