Re: Fwd: RE: [Harp-L] Extended solos

The greatest improvisors I've heard (not necessarily the best all around musicians but the best at managing a flood of ideas that seems endless) are Sidney Bechet, Charlie Parker, and Sonny Rollins. There just aren't many people who can do the same thing. For most musicians it's a better idea to quit before the audience gets bored.

I'm sure there are others that I haven't heard, but we're still talking about a level most people will never reach. I'm a firm believer in the one perfect rose school of thought.

Michael Fugazzi wrote:

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Mike Reid"
<mreid@xxxx> wrote:

we would do 3, 45

minute sets and
probably do 3 to 4 songs in each set.

Oh and he did

not want me to do
any fills while he played his solo's I told him to
let me know when he
was finished.

How boring for the crowd and the rest of the band. I
am a huge jam fan, but you gotta jam as a band. Not a fan of ego trips. The best jam bands keep it fun
and cohesive during their songs.

ned in a previous email it is important to do these
things
spontaneously and for the right reasons and I think
that a heart felt
solo can be equally moving weather it is a 15 second
or 20 minute
solo.

Very true.  There is a time and a place for just about
anything.  The key, for me, is to be on the same page
as a band.

I think it's important to remember that music

is not a
competitive sport it's not about who is the best or
who knows the most
stuff it's art and each artist is different and
special in his or her
own way. You can sit on a store porch and play for
the rest of your
life if you've got it in you to do so. And you'd
probably die happy
too.

Very true for most of us.  I think for some, it is a
competition.  I guess it depends on what you're trying
to do with your music.

Mike Fugazzi
Harmonica/Vocals
NiteRail

http://www.niterail.com

Updated with free music, guestbook, and new live dates!

Yahoo! Mail Stay connected, organized, and protected. Take the tour: http://tour.mail.yahoo.com/mailtour.html