Re: RE: [Harp-L] wood combs

Eric Neumann wrote:
> One thing I would also like to repeat - and share is that, it
> seems that sometimes, when you take a stock harp, and carefully
> put it back together, in my case replacing a plastic MS comb with
> a handmade wooden one - (thanks again, Ed) - there is
> automatically a tightness and better responsivness (particularly
> if gapping is involved) than an out of the box harp has.
>
> Is it due to the handling, and care? Is it because of the gapping?
> The even, and solid surface of the new comb material? Is it all
> just in my head? Is it a lot of fun? I say yes... but maybe that's
> just me. I think the point I am trying to make is that fixing up
> your own harps has a lot of rewards - and it doesn't have to be a
> chore, either.

My personal theory on this is that because these harps are assembled
using self-tapping screws, and all the setup occurs prior to fixing
the plates to the combs.  Torque applied to the self-tapping screws
serves the dual purpose of cutting the threads and of tightening the
screws in place.  For this reason, knowing how much torque is
actually applied to tightening the plates can be tricky.  Simply
taking the screws out and putting them back in can have a pronounced
beneficial effect.  Combine that with some gapping, and you've got a
significant improvement in performance, with a total investment of
just a few minutes.

-working man tim