From: Mojo Red <harplicks@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Chris Michalek <Chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Extended Solos
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 06:02:06 -0700 (PDT)

Awesome discussion on long solos!

Personally, I would never attempt a 20 minute solo
as I know the only sound I'd hear aferwards would
be crickets. I just don't have the chops to
construct something that would hold up that long.

As for Kim Wilson, Jason R. and others who have
been mentioned (I've heard Mark Hummel go off like
that a few times), I think that Gary O./Sonny Jr.
has the right idea. It's got to connect with the
audience or it's just an excercise in ego
gratification.

Now that may be sour grapes from someone like me,
but it's true just the same. The audience has to be
with you. That means that when you launch into a
solo like that, you'd better pay attention to your
listeners... if they're with you, then jam on, if
they're looking board, or worse yet, leaving, cut
it short!!

I think for the most part, the only ones interested
in the 20 minute solo is the guy on stage.

Those are my thoughts, and I'm sticking to e'm.

Harpin' in Colorado,
--Ken M.