[Harp-L] Re: Hering vintage harps

In my opinion the Hering 1923 Vintage is the best out of the box harp on the market if you want that Marine Band type sound. The Marine Band out of the box is not a very responsive instrument whereas the Hering is very responsive. It's tone is a little on the trebly side compared to the Marine Band. I personally don't like the cover plates though and change them for Marine Band cover plates.

I played Lee Oskars for many years and have also tried Special 20s they are all good harps. But in my opinion a customised Marine Band is the best harp around. At the end of the day it all comes down to personal preference.

If you want a good harp that's cheap and has a very good sound buy the Hering. Your money will not be spent in vain.
However if you want a great harp then I would either buy a Custom Marine Band, or as I do buy stock Marine Bands and customise them yourself.
It is relatively easy to learn to do this and you can set it up for your personal playing style. All it takes is time and patience to learn the process.

Paul