Re: [Harp-L] Extended Solos

an impressive undertaking if it can be done well and tastefully.  certainly a show stopper to be done no more than once a night.   I'm sure many of us have experienced an extended wireless Rod Piazza solo from atop the bar and throughout the venue causing nothing but happiness.  during a long blow, Sugar Blue walked out of New York City bar at a gig I was at, stood down the street on a corner blowing his heart out for all passers by while the band crunched on inside.  More recently, I had the good fortune of catching Kim Wilson in an old movie theater turned music hall now done in by the wrecking ball, taking a solo I only wished would never end as he walked off the stage into the seats, blowing acoustic while his band laid down a solid, smokey groove, whisper quiet.  All that having been said, it appears that showmanship is as important an ingredient as great chops and killer timing during a 20 minute solo.

Jim.

>>> "Chris Michalek" <Chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 5/13/2005 2:13:37 PM >>>

Hey Everybody,

What are your thoughts on taking extended solos.  I don't mean 3 or
four choruses I talking about 20 choruses or more you know going on
for 20 minutes...

I'm holding my thoughts until later...
Chris Michalek

www.michalekstrone.com