[Harp-L] Re: Sitting in

"So yeah, I think there's a time and a place for asking to sit in.  It
is probably always a bit rude, but if you don't ask, it'll never happen,
and then a magic moment might not take place that could have.  Just
choose a low-risk situation to do it (e.g. tiny audience, crappy
audience, or crappy band), and try to do it with a band compatible with
your style and abilities."
>>> "Jonathan Metts" <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 5/10/2005
1:13:59 PM >>>

That's good advice for harp players (any players.)  Know yourself as a
player. when sitting in, you're in the hot seat and want everybody
coming out of the situation  feeling groovy.  I've had far more good
experiences than bad while sitting in, and I always respect the
band/player that says no, without question.  I've met a lot of great
people/players and had a lot of great experiences in all different parts
the world sitting in with folks who were happy to have me, but never
would have known I had anything to offer... until I offered.

Jim.