[Harp-L] Re: Sniping on Ebay

Like Elizabeth, I also do my own background checks on the other bidders, the
seller, too, and use all the other advantages I can find, like online
shopping for normal prices, running a completed auctions search for the item,
checking frequency for it to come up on eBay, etc.... forewarned is
forearmed!  But, rather than place any bid, I most always watch the item in
"My eBay" and put a note on my 'puter calendar to remind me when the
auction's about to end.  Then, I watch more closely, check out any recent
bidders, and place my MAX bid in the last seconds.

Yes, we all lose auctions occasionally to sniper-programs, but as eBay says,
these are just as legal for bids as any others.  Don't like 'em, but I get
over it.... sometimes feeling sorry for dummies who win by paying way more
than the item was worth anyway!  Their loss, my gain then, as I see it, and I
wouldn't enjoy having won by paying as stupid a high price as they did
anyway.

As Chris Bates wrote:
>Last minute or "sniping" bids are the best way to avoid high prices.
>Like not showing your cards in poker.

Exactly my take on it...  I don't "tip my hand" that I'm lurking and about to
bid until the very end for this reason... Some people may start bidding over
and over in small increments trying to beat my price and eventually cause me
to pay more, even if it IS below my top price.  Everybody likes a bargain.
Plus, if I begin bidding early on instead, it allows the other bidders to
study my bidding habits the way I do theirs, but mainly, it would allow more
time for the "step bidders" to cut into my bargain price!!!

Tim said:
> I always add an odd amount to that, to beat the people that might bid
> an even dollar amount.  So if I'm willing to pay $50 for something,
> I'll bid $52.51 or something like that, just so I don't get beat by
> the guy who bids $50 first.

And even this won't always work... that's life.  But, also another reason to
study the bidding habits of your competing bidders, if possible.

And Joel made me grin:
>It's amusing to get a "You have the highest bid" e-mail followed
>immediately by a "Too bad, chump, you lost" email after the close
>of the auction.

Got THAT t-shirt!  ;)

My biggest complaint with eBay's auctions is sellers who are lousy at packing
their wares securely so they arrive to me undamaged.  Last year before
Christmas was a particularly bad time for me in this regard - even a
shattered coffee grinder, for pete's sake!!!!  Tempting as it is at that
point, I still never leave negative feedback, [but may send a sharp note to
the seller privately about why I left none at all,] because doing so only
seems to invite retaliation in kind, and I'd like to keep my 100% feedback
rating, thanks very much.

All's fair in love and eBay, I guess.  ;)

Harpy bidding!
Bobbie