[Harp-L] Ballad harp vs sax

Pierre wrote:

Been listening to sax ballads by Getz/Gilberto (e.g. Girl From Ipanema etc.) and Charlie Parker (Jazz Jam) and I am wondering whether anyone has ever done a convincing evocative jazz ballad (basically creating a totally relaxed mood) on a diatonic with or without overblows?

Has this been done on diatonics? Can it be done given the inability to play certain notes legato and given the colour of bent and OB notes?

You can hear JJ Milteau on his latest playing a decent version of "What a wonderful world", but I think Chris is right, that is not the most challenging of tunes.

Your question is quite valid, and interesting, although it´s been touched upon (I think that´s what Michael P is trying to say ...) in the past. I would love to hear e.g. Howard Levy give, say, "All th things you are" a try; suspect it may come out a bit strained on standard tuned diatonic.

  Jerry Portnoys latest (?) CD contains a fair number of standards, but I haven´t heard it. Don´t know if he plays Richter tuned.

Cheers

Martin

Yahoo! Mail Mobile