Re: [Harp-L] band in key of f

Sure Fm would be a lot easier with a capo, but being a chromatic
instrument "not possible" sounds a little harsh.  I guess you would
have to remember that you're playing in a minor key.  If you would
want the guitar to play Fm as I, Bbm as IV, and Cm as V playing
with a capo would make sense because you could use the Em chord
shape, Am chord shape and barre Am form up two more frets as a
guitar player and just play capo on the first fret.  I guess they
were just about right.  That took a lot of thinking because the
notes are of the Eb Major scale, but position play makes it F minor
<insert some mode> and not just the relative minor of the Ab.  I
don't know whether I cleared anything up or not, but at least I
understand why they said that in the book.  I hope that helps some
other multi-instrument players understand why they said that.  How
would you play some of those chords otherwise?  Barre is a great
tool, but it works a lot better further up the neck.

My suggestion if you have guitar playing friends, don't make them
play F Major or minor.  Pick up a different harp and then jam.  I
think F just sucks on the guitar.  Grab your D and then tell your
"guitar monkey" to play Em, Am and Bm.

JD in GR, MI