Re: [Harp-L] A great celtic harp-player

So you understand know why I claim He is the best Celtic player I have and I will ever meet??
When Jean came down to my workshop and started to play, I could not believe my ears.
So fluid, so light, so nice was his playing!!!

Btw: I have some of his CD to sell for who is interested. Contact me offlist.

Froggy

Steve Shaw <moorcot@xxxxxxx> wrote:
This may be of only marginal interest to a lot of Harp-l folks, but a great
harp-player is a great harp-player and it's only right that the word should
be spread. The guy in question is Jean Sabot who lives in France (Brittany
to be precise, an area with its own traditional "celtic" music tradition).
He visited the UK last week and I was lucky enough not only to meet him and
hear him play but also to join him in a traditional pub session in St Ives
in Cornwall "for a few tunes" (as the Irish are apt to say). He plays
diatonic and chromatic harps that he retunes fearlessly to make them more
sensible for the music he plays (e.g. eliminating missing notes, enabling
fast runs of notes, facilitating appropriate ornamentation). He plays
beautifully with strong projection and lovely full tone. He has a wide
repertoire that includes not only his own native Breton tunes but also
Irish, Scottish, Northumbrian and French-Canadian. We have a handful of
great players of this kind of music but Jean is right up there with the very
best of 'em.

He explains some of his tunings on his site
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/jsabot/accueilan.htm I'm pretty conservative about
trying out different tunings, but I'm beginning to change my tune (oops...)
after trying out his "major tuning - Ionian mode" which gives a 10-hole harp
a range of two and a half octaves with no missing notes. Same blow-draw
pattern as the standard harp too. Genius!

I have one of his CDs, "Harmoníca, víolon," and it's a gem.

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica
HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm
READ review of my CD: http://www.irishmusicreview.com/sshaw.htm