Re: Re: [Harp-L] Does SPAH need harmonica competition - in brief

The winner ( http://tinyurl.com/df3wh ) can make some $$$ selling books and
instructional videos. Wouldn't you rather learn from "the national champion"

i'd rather learn from a really good teacher.

Well, you pruned out my ;^) but while it's being discussed...There is nothing about being a good player (contest winner, or known performing artist) that would lead me to believe that s/he would not be a good teacher according to any logical guidelines that I know of. It isn't proof that they are a good teacher either, but most people would probably think that a good player has potential to be a good teacher. My point was that people do use such things as "credentials" to get students and it probably works to some extent. Many perceive it to be of value. My 10 cents (my bends don't hit within 2 cents)

Peace and music,
Dave