Re: [Harp-L] Hecklers (was "Another topic about professionalism")

On May 3, 2005, at 7:54 PM, Bill Hines wrote:

"Hey man I don't come to your job and mess with the fry machine, do I?"

Ha, awesome! That really made me laugh hard at the end of what has truly
been a very "not fun" day.

Bill Hines
Hershey, PA

I'll tell you a tough one. An older couple who brings their 31 year old son (mentally challenged). The 'kid' keeps bugging you. Not the sax, not the keyboard, not the guitar, not the trombone, not the drums, just YOU (the harp).
Why? Well we often talk about how some people perceive the harmonica as a toy and here we have a (basically) child who wants to play harp.
You have to be really gentle. You leave the band area and you talk to him and walk him back to his table and sit him down. Maybe you mention something to his elderly parents like "I found your son" and then return to the band. It's sad in a way.
smokey-joe