[Harp-L] Hecklers (was "Another topic about professionalism")

Chris' advice is good -- you can ignore drunken hecklers for only so long before they can become real problems, so I usually try to interact with them. Key words, though: "all in jest."

Some possible retorts:

"Sorry, we don't do any Beatles songs. But then again they don't do any of our's, either."

"Sure, we can do Elvis, but you have to provide the drugs."

"How much did you pay to get in here? Ten bucks? We'll slip you a twenty to leave."

Or there's the Redd Foxx line, "That guy is funny, isn't he? Let's give him a big hand. Right across the mouth."

-TBall

What do you do with hecklers, loud "requests", fights, harp players
playing in the crowd, and other negative audience interaction?

I heckle, the hecklers right back as they are often the guys who end up tipping the most after you interact with them. Calling attention to them is what they usually want and doing so only makes them feel good. All in jest.

I haven't seen any fights in the clubs where we perform but we do
have the Rocky theme ready for when it happens.  With the Guses in
the audience I always invite them up to play.  If they don't then I
ask them to stop playing whilst we are playing.

Most interaction is not negative unless you make it that way.  If it
truly is a negative thing then I ask the bar to get them out.  They
always comply with than and the offender doesn't know the real reason
he's been asked to leave.

Chris Michalek