[Harp-L] Improv revisited

Was going back through some old threads on
improvisation looking for ideas and was reminded of
the book, "Thinking In Jazz, The Infinite Art of
Improvisation" by Paul Berliner. I found it really
interesting and a way to get inside the heads of some
of best musicians around. A harmonica note: Howard
Levy is one of the sources in the book.

Anyway here's one idea from Chuck Israels remembering
something Charles Mingus told him.

"Charles Mingus once said 'How come all these modern
players play 'I Got Rhythm' with the same eight bar
phrases? How come they don't play from the end of the
second eight bars  into the bridge or from the end of
the bridge into the last eight bars? Why do they
always breathe after eight bars?' With great players
like Louis Armstrong or Charlie Parker you could never
predict the places where they were going to breathe."

Still trying to figure out how to breathe,

Bill H