Re: Re: [Harp-L] Golden Melodies

Pierre wrote:
> What are Hohner handmades?

Once upon a time most of the Hohner richter diatonics were made by
hand.  In the mid-80s Hohner introduced the Modular System (MS)
line, and converted many of their diatonics to this largely
automated manufacturing process.  These days, the Cross Harp, Pro
Harp, Blues Harp and Meisterklasse are all MS harps, with
interchangable reedplates, combs, and covers.  Hohner continues to
make three "handmade" models that use the old manufacturing
processes, and have the same specifications for thickness, reedslot
size, and reed materials, and roughly the same specs for reedplate
dimensions.  The handmade models are the Marine Band, the Special
20, and the Golden Melody.  Hohner tried to phase in MS versions of
the Marine Band and the Special 20 outside the US, but they never
caught on.  The MS Marine Band was basically a Big River on a Blues
Harp comb with different engraving, and the MS Special 20 was a MS
Cross Harp with different engraving.  They are now out of
production, I believe.

Hohner handmade harps are recognized as being the easiest to set up
for overblows, without the torsional squealing problems that many
other models -- notably the Lee Oskar/Tombo and Suzuki brands --
exhibit.  Hohner MS harps are also pretty overblow friendly.

> I hate overhanging plates on any model, although I'm sure anyone
> can get use to most anything in time. People use the old marine
> bands and they have a similar design. I think its just a question
> of what we are used to.

I'll agree to a certain extent; some people just don't like the
taste of the brass or the feeling of the metal in their mouths.
That said, it is possible to make them much more comfortable than
they arrive from the factory.

> With respect to bendability, I disagree with Tim, I find GM's much
> easier to bend than Special 20s. Although I only have one GM, so
> maybe I just got lucky but I don't think so. To me the GM feels
> almost like a LO in terms of playability.

There really is nothing in the design and construction of these two
models to make a difference in bending the reeds.  Both are handmade
models, so they use the same reedplate specifications, aside from
the external dimensions.

> One nice thing about GM's is that the reeds are arced, so its
> easier to set them up properly. I think Hohner should do this on
> SP20s too.

Again, there is no difference in the treatment of the reeds coming
from the factory.  I don't think Hohner adjusts the reed arc at the
factory on any harp; what you get is what comes off the machine.
I've never seen any consistent differences between reeds on these
two models.

-tim

Tim Moyer
Working Man's Harps