Re: [Harp-L] Golden Melodies

Charles wrote:
I'd love to hear from some of the Golden Melody players out there
- what am I missing?

Tia added:

I love the full-length covers on the Golden Melody, which make puckering up and down the full length of the harp more comfortable, in my opinion. There's less to snag the facial hair. Roudned bosies are easier on the hands. I also prefer Hohner handmades, since their easier to make overblow-friendly.

What are Hohner handmades?

I agree that overhanging reedplates can be uncomfortable. I polish the front edges of mine with 0000 steel wool to make them smooth and round. The Special 20 and Lee Oskar both avoid this problem with full recessed reedplates.

I hate overhanging plates on any model, although I'm sure anyone can get use to most anything in time. People use the old marine bands and they have a similar design. I think its just a question of what we are used to.

I can't imagine that a bend on a GM is any easier or harder than on
a Special 20, aside from just the random way the factory has
adjusted the action.  Another sampling of two randomly chosen harps
might swing things the other way, or have both be exceptional -- or
unacceptable.  At least with the Golden Melody, like the Lee Oskar
and the Special 20, you can remove the covers and easily access the
reeds for adjustment.

I agree with Tim that you can't really judge based on one harp. I would add that if you are evaluating harps, you should compare harps with equal key harps otherwise the comparison is really unfair. The 3 hole on the Bb SP20 harp is particularly hard to play compared to any other keyed harp, at least it was for me. I forced myself to practice with a Bb harp for 6 months to get over this. I figured if I could master this harp, I would get better on all harps.

With respect to bendability, I disagree with Tim, I find GM's much easier to bend than Special 20s. Although I only have one GM, so maybe I just got lucky but I don't think so. To me the GM feels almost like a LO in terms of playability.

One nice thing about GM's is that the reeds are arced, so its easier to set them up properly. I think Hohner should do this on SP20s too. On the downside, they are a bit too bright.

I'm seriously thinking of switching to GMs from SP20s, I'm looking for a harp I can play effortlessly and I find that on a C SP20 I sometimes have to alter my throat position to go from the 2nd bend to the 3rd bend. On the GM I don't seem to have any problem reaching the 3 bends. Another difference I find is that when bending the 3 hole, its easier to do a smoth slow controlled bend than on a SP20.

Anybody got any theories as to why the deep 3 hole bends on the Bb harp are harder than on other harp keys?

Pierre.

-tim