[Harp-L] 9 and 10 blow out

In a message dated 3/30/05 10:23:10 AM Eastern Standard Time,
harp-l-request@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
i'm doing some songs that i'm doing some 9 and 10 blows on a c harp.my
problem is they don't work. the harps are only 2 weeks old.they are marine
bands.is
there anyway i can repair this problem??
Assuming that the reeds are not ruined by playing too hard, and assuming that
u don't have lint or somesuch stuck in the reeds, my guess is that proper
gapping will cure the problem.  U should be able to get them to sound if u simply
increase the gap a tiny bit.  Since the harps are MBs (plates held together
with nails) and the offending reeds are blow notes, u can't easily disassemble
the harp to hold down the base of the reed as u gently bend the reed's end.  I
like to hold down at the base/ root of a reed - it seems to insure that I
don't alter the curvature of the reed; altho if it's not a customized harp is
prob. a moot point since the reeds prob. won't have any curvature to them.  If i
were u, to gap these harps, i'd prob. just use a toothpick or non-scratching
tool, to poke the free end of the offending reeds down thru the top of the
slots, to increase the gap by just a tiny bit.  This i would do rather than remove
the blow plate.
  This disassembly of MB's is one of the reasons i long ago switched to SP 20
and other harps which are held together with screws.
  I'll watch this thread as i defer to harp-L'ers who are more qualified to
advise u on this matter.
ron