[Harp-L] New Howard Levy-Paul Sprawl CD (long)

    I can't call this a review as reviews are suppose to be an "objective"
synopsis of the writer's / listener's experience. It's no secret that I'm an
avid fan of Howard Levy, so here is my "prejudiced write-up" about his new
CD project with Singer/Songwriter/Guitarist; Paul Sprawl.-) Hope you enjoy
it as much as I did listening to it.

     When describing Howard's projects in the past, the word "eclectic"
starts to sound like an understatement in describing the vast reaches of Mr.
Levy's  musical tentacles.

    Let's perhaps try out this scenario as a description or possible
explanation for what I hear when I listen to this CD.  The group Trio Globo,
has been reincarnated and find themselves in Yazoo County, Mississippi in
1932. They don't know why they've been dropped there but figure they should
be hustling up some gigs to stay alive! It's pretty much the consensus of
the local "Juke Joints", that a trio is too large and if they want a gig,
they'll have to do it as a DUO, use the house piano and NO drums/prc because
of spatial considerations...but whatever they do, they'd better have a damn
good "Blues" set worked up!!

    So here's what Howard came up with; he convinces the Cellist Eugene
Friesen to trade in his Cello at the local pawn shop for an Acoustic Guitar
and also to change his name to Paul as it sounds a bit bluesier!. Then, they
find a voodoo woman who conjures up a potion to shrink the Percussionist
Glen Velez and then Howard uses duct tape to tape Glen inside the 'F Hole'
of the Guitar!!

    I know this sounds bizarre, but in Yazoo country stuff like this happens
all the time,-) They have a few rehearsals writing some new bluesier grooves
and off they go to the gig!!! Knowing w/o the Cello they'd have to
compensate, Howard throws into old suitcase... a Saxophone, some assorted
Flutes a Chinese Ch'eng..

    OK, so I got carried away describing the CD, but I don't think I'm THAT
far off base, so let's talk a bit about what I heard. Firstly, I don't want
to mislead anyone, this is not a Howard Levy Solo project, it's a unique Duo
and most of the material is written by the VERY talented Singer/Guitarist,
Paul Sprawl. Howard wrote two tracks; one, a Vocal Debut on a song
"Security" that he plays Piano sings LEAD on with a tasty Harp solo and the
other song is a mesmerizing instrumental "Camel Parade" that really shows
off the unique instrumentation of this duo.

    One other song is a collaboration between the two entitled "Pismo to
Evanston"...a poignant little instrumental that could easily be a soundtrack
behind someone rafting slowly on a muddy river one calm summer evening.

    The CD opens with "Good Morning Sunshine", a very bluesy Gtr/Harp Sprawl
original with Paul introducing his quite impressive and unique Vocal skills.
The backdrop here consists of some haunting unison gtr/harp riffs with
Howard overlaying some 2nd position harp (key of D on a G harp) with very
'groove' based rhythms, Paul's Guitar-Drums never let up (poor Glen!).

    Next up is "Touch of Evil" in Gm, Howard starts by sprinkling some light
Piano Fills under Paul's Slap/Slide inventions. Then Levy takes a real
gritty "Bullet" Mic type harp solo with just the right amount of "bite" to
draw you into the EVIL groove! Out of the suitcase comes the Chinese Flute
to mellow things back down...a terrific blend of colors going on in this
song.

    "Good Times" utilizes a mid-eastern type of "Blues Lick" along with
"tabla-esque" Guitar rhythms over this Dm'ish song with a slight blues
rhumba tinge to it. Paul cries out..."Where did all the Good Times go?" From
the title I first thought I'd hear a Louis Jordan kinda' song "Let the Good
Times Roll" etc...no Jordan here, as Sprawl chants:
"see the bathroom graffiti quoting William Burrows, 'storm the reality
factory and take back the universe' "........ah indeed,let those good times
roll,-)

    The real bonus here is if you buy this CD, you'll get (in my opinion), a
HIT song. That'd be #4 "Red Room". A masterpiece of Paul's that tells a
story via a slow ballad changing to a double time bounce with a catchy hook
chorus.

    I would love to hear the Allman Brothers record this ,what a pretty
bluesy piece. Paul sings his tale about a guy that's drivin' cross country
to a girl that's indifferent about life and HIM but there seems a change of
heart from her up in her "Red Room".............a winner!

    The fifth song is "Edward's Story" about a 1938 Bavarian Guitar equipped
with 3D holographic Gargoyles and Skulls on the back...is this really
Hitler's Guitar?? Nice Harp and Guitar Rhythms throughout this odd story
that even mentions Mick Jagger's wife! (I wonder which one??)

    Moving right along to the sixth tune, this is a Levy composition, "Camel
Parade". Ahhh...Trio Globo can RUN but they cannot HIDE in Yazoo County!
Utilizing Guitar -percussively really works nicely here along with some
"lightening" speed licks on the harp...ouch! The Piano sneaks in with equal
virtuosity from all 12 fingers,-)

    Number Seven is "Jean", featuring Howard on that Tenor Sax he stuck in
his suitcase before the gig! This is a seductive 'Funk-Rocker' groove about
a sexy lil' gal w/ "Grey Hair??" "She ain't Heavy, she's my Grandmother"
might be a better title.

    The eighth piece is Howard's song "Security" featuring a beautiful
Melody and a Lead Vocal performance that is as soothing as a "cup of tea in
a warm room" as the lyrics propose. Howard has a great 'set of pipes' with a
VERY wide vocal range! The Harmonica solo is interspersed with Paul's
gorgeous slide embellishments. I do hope Howard will sing some more in the
future, this really works well.

    9th is "Baywood Day & Night" why don't we call what Paul is doing
"Guit-cussion" a cool combo of guitar and musical banging! This one sounds
like Ebm some pretty harp...I love Paul's line "Death is not the enemy".

      The last instrumental song is a Levy-Sprawl piece called "From Pismo
to Evanston" this must have been inspired by Paul's journey to Howard's home
studio in Chicago....very open piano chord intro into a pretty piece in Bm
using Paul's slide and rhythm effects with harmonica melody and solo.

    Finally, we are teased at end of this Blues-full journey with a sprawl
dissertation on morning sustenance in a greasy way on "Breakfast in
Beaumont". I got VERY hungry after hearing this song. It's a laid back Vocal
with a laid back Acoustic/Slide with Harmonica weaving in & out with the
necessary Jam to sweeten this last piece of musical toast.

Thanks for the Music guys and I can't wait to see them do some of this live
in a town near me.Guys, please don't forget to let Glen out of the guitar
after each gig....I'm worried about him.

You can go to the Web-site below to sample this CD, but trust me it's a
keeper,-))
http://www.balkansamba.com/levysprawl.php

Oh, while your at this site, be sure to check out Howard's two other NEW
CD's
one with the Latin Band from Chicago: Chevere
http://www.balkansamba.com/secretdream.php
and the other Duo record with Violinist extrodinaire Fox Fehling!!!
http://www.balkansamba.com/cappuccino.php

(No disrespect was intended.. I have only the ultimate respect for that
Fantastic group, "Trio Globo"....hope they don't take any offense to my
foolin' around here...special thanx to Eugene and Glen)

Love & Peace
Rob Paparozzi