Re: [Harp-L] Review of Thierry Crommen's La Nouvelle Donne

On Mar 28, 2005, at 6:47 AM, Planet Harmonica wrote:
Indeed. I was very sad when I heard the news. He's one of these guys I would really have liked to see live.

Ben

Back in the late 50s, early 60s, Jimmy was almost a fixture in Pgh. ALL the great B3 players were. It was a GREAT jazz town with a penchant for B3 players (+ Kenny Burrell). There was the Hurricane bar & the Crawford grill.

There was Jimmy, Brother Jack, Jimmy #2 (McGriff), Groove, Shirley. We had a couple local guys of our own that weren't too shabby, (Gene Ludwig was one). Gene had a teen age guitar player with him named George Benson. George went on to greener pastures. I used to shoot pool with George's older (hustler) brother Harold (schoolboy) Benson. I miss the old days. Lots to do back then. I would sit in with the Harold Betters quintet, Ludwig trio and once with McGriff (on spindletop).

You would have liked Jimmy. He was as funny as he was little. Never a snob. Never let it go to his head. Watching his feet was a show in itself. Jimmy got sick the same time as I did back at the end of Jan. He hadn't felt well up till then. Too bad I made it and he didn't. You would rather have Jimmy back instead of me...you say?...fair enough, I understand. :)

smo-joe