Re: [Harp-L] More On Reed Problems

sam wrote:
> Can you do something to the lower four reed slots in low C,D, E
> and F harps to make it easier to get deep bends?
<snip>
> Tim, do you know something that you don't want to divulge?

There really aren't any secrets in this business, and I don't know
anything about harmonicas that I wouldn't tell or show another
person.  That said, there are a lot of things that you learn about
building harmonicas from doing lots and lots of them that you can't
really tell someone, it's a feel thing that's hard to quantify.

As for bending really low notes, though, it might help to understand
a little more about the way the physics works to know what the
limitations are: when you "bend" a note down, what you're doing is
creating a resonant chamber in your mouth and vocal tract that
causes the active reed to move down in pitch.  Winslow described
this very well in a recent post, though it may have been on the
HarpTalk list, I don't recall.

At any rate, creating that lower sypathetic vibration is largely a
function of how low a resonant chamber you can make.  This is
something of a physical limitation.  I remember reading something by
the esteemed Dr. Antaki that suggested that there is a corelation
between how deep a resonating chamber you can make and the pitch of
your speaking voice.  In practice, I've found my harmonica students
learn bending better on different pitched harps depending on the
pitch of their speaking voice.

As with just about all things harmonica, you can improve this with
practice.  You can learn to create lower resonating chambers to bend
lower pitched reeds, just as you can create higher resonating
chambers to get blow bends on very high notes, like the 10 hole of
an F harp!  I hate to say that the answer is practice, but that's
the truth of the matter.

-tim

Tim Moyer
Working Man's Harps