Re: [Harp-L] On reed problems

Siegfried wrote:
> Though Tim mentioned an interesting method to emboss
> the slot sides by a cylinder, I really doubt that
> embossing achieves a noticable improvement. The
> tolerance of a reed side to the slot wall is the thickness
> of a razor blade = 0.08 mm and nobody can tell me that the
> human ear can recognize a lesser tolerance.

I have to respectfully disagree.  Things might be different in the
world of valved reeds played in such a way that the two-reed bends
are denied.  But in the diatonic world, where two reed systems are
the rule, this embossing plays a dramatic role.  I will agree that
reedslot tolerances are in every case very tight, and perhaps the
difference between factory tolerances and those tightened by
customizers are nearly imperceptible by sight.  But tightening
tolerances makes reeds far more responsive to light air pressure,
and can have a big influence on tone.

> Above all,  a crucial check has to be done before
> embossing at all. The reed has to be absolutely
> centered and that´s the problem.

Here I am in absolute agreement.  Narrowing reedslot tolerances will
quickly reveal the minutest deviation from precise centering.  These
are quite quickly revealed by Siegfried's "translucent light"
method, though one must take care to hold the reedplate at the
proper angle and to not be fooled by one's own binocular vision.

> If the reed is "only" twisted around the rivet, it can be
> turned back at the root by a respective tool.

I would suggest that another method for rotating the reed around its
rivet is to slide a small (0.002") shim between the reed and the
reedslot wall, and adjust the angle so that the reed is turned.
I've never been able to be precise enough on riveted reeds using a
reed wrench turning the base.

-tim

Tim Moyer
Working Man's Harps