To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2005 9:49 AM
Subject: [Harp-L] The good old days

I bought my first Marine Band harmonica for $4.50 in 1974 in Harvard Square in Cambridge, Massachusetts. The seventies were a great time for harp shows in and around Boston and Cambridge. I had the honor of attention many wonderful shows in those days. Today, it's difficult to find comparable performances in Boston. I didn't realize how great a time it was for blues harmonica. I'd like to relate a short conversation I had with a harp great. Paul Butterfield played at Jonathan Swift's twice a year (as did James Cotton). Butterfield did a show with Blondie Chaplin. Mr. Butterfield was at the bar between sets by himself and although nervous, I approached him and told him what I fan I was of his music. He was gracious enough to ask my name and tell me he was a lucky man to be able to play music for a living and that he's been blessed. I said no, your fans are blessed. I humbly returned to my seat with big smile on my face and left him to enjoy his drink. Wish I brought a camera that night. James Cotton did many shows at Swift's. This was the band with Charles Calmese, Kenny Johnson and Matt Murphy. They ended the show with "Fever" as one by one they left the stage in a conga line. I saw John Lee Hooker at Swift's. I turned around and notice Peter Wolf (he lived in the Square in those days) and Magic Dick listening and smiling. Magic Dick sat in with Hooker and that was my first time seeing him play. The greatest performance I ever saw was Big Walter Horton at the Speakeasy in Cambridge. His tone and phrasing was the greatest. That show is special and one I will never to forget. The legendary Speakeasy was the place to hear blues in those days. Saw a young Charles Musselwhite there also. Attended a Muddy Waters show at the Jazz Workshop or Paul's Mall (they were adjacent) and my memory needs help! It was Muddy's birthday and the then Governor Dukakis presented him with a cake on stage and declared it Muddy Waters Day in Boston. Can't remember who played harp that night (either Portnoy or Oscher). Saw Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee at Passim's. Arrived early, sat right in front. Terry's tapping shoe was inches from my face. I brought a date and apologized ahead of time as I feared she wouldn't understand my obsession with these two old guys. She loved it. Looking back how could she not? Whoop!! They bickered and acted like they hated each other. Thought it was an act. Later read that the animosity was real. Those were the days! Jim (an aging harper)