RE: [Harp-L] What makes Gindick a great teacher

For me, Jon Gindick's effectiveness derives primarily from his personal care for, and attention to, each of the students. His books gave him a reason to deconstruct harp methodology thus making him a more informed technical teacher, but it's his open-heartedness, his love for the harp and what it can do for people, that makes him an extremely effective personal teacher and Jonny Harmonica-seed.

As for books, not everyone benefits from them alike. I ain't a book-learning sort of guy, I've never really read a harmonica book, ain't planning on it, but for some that's the way, for us less-academically-grounded types we just gotta suck alot til we figure it out.

But I ain't suckin' booze through my harp, I wouldn't waste good stuff just to gum up the reeds, when I can put it to more direct use. The old wood-comb harps (MB's and Blues Harps) I used to blow in the early 70's used to respond very well tonally to a quick dip in some beer or booze, but then you had to keep dippin' them or they'd dry out and sound like crap, and soon the things were ruined. Even without the comb-swelling problem.

I do have other uses for booze, though. Nicolas, how much does a litre of Oban cost in La France?

-Dave

ps: if anyone trying to contact me gets their message bounced, here's a spam-filter workaround email address for me:
dfertig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx