Re: [Harp-L] What makes Gindick a great teacher

At the Jam Camps that I was invited to participate in, during the first
evening's introduction round, there were always a handful of students that
mentioned how they were first turned on to the harmonica by years ago finding an old
book at a used book store, or a gift from some relative - and it was Jon's
first book, published many many years ago. There was only Jon and Sonny Glover,
and let me tell you, Sonny's book was none too good.

Jon is probably responsible for starting the most people on the path in the
early years when there was no real lighthouse beacon to follow.

Also, as sophisticated as I like to think my evolving harmonica teaching
technique is, I always pick up something new in listening to Jon lead a Jam Camp
workshop.

However, the best that Jon offers in a live setting is showing to the campers
that "if I can do it, you certainly can." As a real down to earth user
friendly mentor, the students have no choice but to improve when in his presence.
Jon doesn't take himself so seriously that there is any barrier whatsoever
between himself and even the most beginning of students.

As a performer, the tone and energy comes bursting out of him. When he makes
a mistake, he laughs and says "Oh well, so what and ON WITH THE FUN".

Yes, Jon deserves wider recognition for all of his contributions.

SPAH has an award they give out for accomplishments. A member of SPAH might
surely nominate Jon for a Bernie Bray award having experienced his magic.

The Iceman