[Harp-L] Re: Augusta Heritage Blues Week 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: IcemanLE
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

<<This week is, by far, the most bang for the buck and the most interactive of all the harmonica experiences out there, including conventions, jam camps and masterclass workshops. >>

Because I use short sentences and favor succinct ideas in my postings, they have, over the years, been occasionally received in not quite the spirit that I intended, the fault being my own, as my personal skills at communication need improvement.

Therefore, in order to right a wrong and soothe hurt feelings, allow me to expound....

I've worked as clinician at all the above mentioned harmonica workshops and been intimate with SPAH/Buckeye/Trossingen in the past. They all offer wonderful experiences.

Jam Camp is the most user friendly and least egotisitic, kinda like a big St. Bernard jumping up and licking you in the face. For the new and timid, there is no better place to get your feet wet and confidence up.

Masterclass Workshops are the most structured and academic. For the experienced and serious, there is no better weekend program.

SPAH, Trossingen, Buckeye offer the most variety. Chromatic, diatonic, tremolo, chord, bass, jazz, blues, country, old tyme harmonica styles under one roof.

However, Augusta Heritage Blues Week is unlike all the others. The "most interactive" that I referred to is the fact that, along with 30 - 40 harmonica students, 4 - 6 teachers, classes all day and mini classes at night, there also exists a group of blues guitar players, blues bass players, blues singers, blues keyboard players, swing guitar players, swing singers, swing sax players, swing vocalists, old tyme/country players, doo-wop singers, etc etc etc etc, all doing the class thing just like the harmonica players. Once class is over, everyone congregates all over the place for jam sessions that are unbelievable, sometimes lasting until sunrise. This is an experience not available at the other harmonica gatherings, as it crosses the harmonica boundary and embraces so many other instruments/styles.

The "most bang for the buck" means, for $690 total you receive room and all meals on campus, full tuition to all classes, and admission to 2 major evening concerts, dances every night, and this is from Sunday evening through Saturday morning - a full week.

Now, not all are able to get away for a full week during the summer. Therefore, the weekend harmonica workshops/camps make the most sense, especially since they are offered many times during the year.

My personal philosophy embraces abundance, in that there is so much available and so many who are seeking the experience, that there is truly enough to go around; especially with the new trend I witness of affluent Doctors, Lawyers, retired folk, and people with $$ who always wanted to learn to play harmonica, but had no resource. In the old days, there seemed like a very small pool of harmonica enthusiasts who had trouble affording the experience, but those were the OLD DAYS.

I love all the experiences and love to let everyone know what is available out there. Sometimes the way I state my opinion is a little short and harsh, but the intent is not to hurt, but to illuminate.

The "Going to Therapy to Improve His Human Communication Skills" Iceman