[Harp-L] Re: fender bassman ltd again

On 3/17/05 6:50 AM, Scott wrote:

> The issues of getting your own sound, etc., have already been addressed, many
> times, so I won't go there.  However I don't see anything wrong with emulating
> someone else's sound - everyone on this forum does it, whether they admit it
> or not.

And I think it's the first step in knowing what you'd like to sound like.
The sounds that you mostly connect with are the sounds you're most likely to
attempt to reproduce in some manner.

Thanks for your informative post, Scott. Let me also add this:

What guys are attempting to reproduce of LW's sound (when they say they want
that LW sound) are examples they've heard from RECORDED material. In a
(mostly) controlled  studio environment. With studio effects. And a good
mix.

Now I know effects are a personal matter. But when someone writes "reverb is
a must"...I really question that.

Before you tack on all that other gear ON TOP of your LW rig, in an attempt
to get that "LW sound", think about what your audience will be hearing. For
you, on stage, right next to your amp, with delay, or reverb, or both, you
might very well sound like LW. But as the sound goes out, and begins to
reflect off walls and ceilings, guess what it sounds like at the back of the
club? Lack of note definition, for one thing. "Mushy" comes to mind.

I think I've used my DanEcho pedal once or twice in all the times I've had
it. As I recall, I used it at a gig where the room was acoustically "dead."

Ray.
--
www.resgraphics.com/music