Re: [Harp-L] Building solos

I feel like I am at a sticking point, though.  I try
to spend a lot of time imporvising, but I feel I play
repetitively.

I think the trick is to learn to make the notes you play cool and/or interesting. I know I'm stating the obvious, but in the early stages a harmonica player has a hard time making anything sound really cool.

I'm not Little Walter yet, but lately I have been doing much better. I think a lot of the improvement came from improving (dirtying) my tone and some of it came from new skills like playing loud notes between softer ones. I would say tone was the biggest component though. I can finally improvise around bits of phrases and make it sound cool, now that is a milestone.

Try this: Pick any 3, 4 or 5 notes of a scale and do something interesting with them and keep it going for a minute or two. To keep it going change tempo, introduce rests (space) to create tension, play some notes loudly, others softly. Add swing. Change the attack on the notes, introduce bends, cuts and dips, slurs, vibrato, trills, play clean, play dirty, open close, add contrast, change the emotion, get mad, get happy, melancholic, intense, relaxed. Add chords or partial chords, grace notes. Add dissonance for example by playing a bit of 5 draw along with 4 draw.

Rather than picking a few notes from a scale, take any riff you know and play it differently so it becomes a new phrase. Then keep it going. I've seen artist do this, they draw a doodle and then they draw the rest of the picture around the doodle.

Find some inspiration, I often start by thinking or singing a rhythm, although you probably do that already.

Avoid ruts, I sometimes have to consiously avoid falling into stupid phrases I've picked up when fooling around like the US Marine's marching song (no!!!).

When you listen to music, forget the notes and figure out the magic behind the music. For example, Toots can play a melody line and melt you heart, how does he do that? When I play it, it sounds like notes, when he plays it, its art. Another good example is Norton Buffalo, he can say so much with a single note.

By the way, Winslow once explained that you have to learn all the paths around the forest. Eventually you know every way to get to where you are going and all the routes to avoid. I think this is an essential component to mastery and to diversity. I mountain bike 5 minutes from my home and after 3 years of cycling these woods I often still don't recognize certain paths when I take them. The forest is full of trees, they all look the same, in many places there are no visual references. But if I were to always take the same path every day and then added one change a week, I would eventually learn where each path ends up and know the forest inside out. Winslow is very wise.

Pierre.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Fugazzi" <mfugazzi67@xxxxxxxxx>