[Harp-L] Building Solos

>From Chris Michalek:

"STOP listening to harmonica players. Most of them are not very good
musicians. Try listening to guitars and saxaphones if you want to
play differently."

It's funny, I read an interesting quote by Duane Allman (to another
guitarist)recently that was something along the lines of "for me, playing
guitar is not about guitar, it's about the harmonica." This was posted
somewhere on the Allman Bros website.
Most of Duane's memorable slide guitar solos (consider Statesboro Blues and
One Way Out, for example) can be duplicated almost note for note on harp:
he derived much inspiration from harpists.
Maybe the rule for musicians (corresponding with Chris' advice above)
should be:  whatever your instument, listen to something else if you want
to develop a unique sound!
Hey, it certainly worked for Jason Ricci and Dennis Greunling, whose living
rooms are surely stacked with old Jazz saxaphone LPs!
Zig

http://mail2web.com/ .