[Harp-L] Re: Building solos

Michael Fugazzi writes:

I really want to get into the jamming aspect of playing harp and not always
planning my solos and not always using riffs or solos from other players.

Hi Mike............Developing ~your~ solo "style" is just something that takes
time.  One little "trick" I used to use is, during practice sessions, try to
start the solo on a different note than I'm used to using.  If you accept that
any of the notes within a chord are safe notes to play over that chord, then
you have at least three notes (or 6 holes) to start with.  Starting on a
different note automatically gets you away from the redundant, repititious
solos we all find ourselves doing.

Here is another place to learn about building solos.  http://myquill.cc//

See sections entitled, Improvising Over Chords, Improvising Using Melodic
Rhythm
and Composed Improvisation

Best Regards to All,

Larry Boy Pratt