[Harp-L] Re: minor keys

Jim Hanks writes:

>>if the band says this groove is in c min.
..what harp would you play?????

>I can't believe noone else has suggested the
>other "obvious" choice - Eb played in first position.

This is not first position. You are not playing in Eb.

Playing an Eb harp in C minor is 4th position, even though the notes of
the scale may be the same as the Eb scale.

4th position was suggested by others earlier in this thread, even if
they did not name the key of harmonica.

By the way, I also noticed earlier in the thread that people were
characterizing tunes like "Messin' with the Kid" and "Smokestack
Lightnin'" as bing in minor keys. They are not minor - the guitar does
not play minor chords in these tunes, even though the harmonica plays a
minor third. When guitar plays chords at all, they are major chords.
That's very characteristic of blues tune. If you play minor chords on
guitar behind these tunes, they will sound very different to what they
sound like on records by Junior or the Wolf.

Winslow