[Harp-L] What I'm listening to (was: Good day for the mailman)

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Marc Spilka"
<marc@xxxx> wrote:
> I got home other day to find both the new Jason
Ricci and Richard Hunter CDs
> in my mailbox...

> The state of modern blues and harp playing is pretty
up these days.  Curious
> what other people are listening to.
>
> Sky

i much prefer Ricci's live shows (i've seen three in
the past few months) to his CD "Feel Good Funk," and i
can't wait for them to cut an album with tunes like
"Turkish Coffee." (not to mention, featuring his
amazingly kick-ass guitar player who wasn't on the
CD).
coincidentally, the last timei saw Jason play, he
asked what i've been listening and i didn't have a
very coherent answer.
the newest new harp blues i've picked up is Paul
DeLay's stuff. Paulzilla i really dig, and Heavy
Rotation is good too. he manages to do more of an R&B
"blue-eyed" blues without being as cheesy as alot of
others guy who do that stuff. i should also mention
Hazmat Modine, who i see live from time to time, and
who just get better and better, but who sadly do not
have a CD out (not a studio effort anyway.)
i can't wait for the new Ryan Hartt album. i still
listen to the first one incessantly. and i just bought
the S.O.B.'s album "Give Me Back My Money" (i think
that's the name) cause i'm a little obsessed with
Billy Branch these days.
but mostly, i've been listening to non-harp stuff
these days - none of it new -, or to older harp
players - George Smith especially. i've been listening
to more horn-oriented music, and more jazz and latin:
Pucho, Tito Puente, Ray Barretto, Lou Donaldson,
Galactic, King Curtis, assorted Cuban artists, and
Charlie Hunter (with Gregoire Maret) and also Bill
Barrett.
i'm really looking for a good chromatic jazz/funk
sound - some mix of George Smith, Lester Young, and
latin horn players (too numerous to name).

  --Jp