Re: [Harp-L] Path of Least Resistance (was Position Perception)

--- "jazmaan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <dmf273@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> I'm sure there are some accomplished overblowers
> who have no trouble playing "Desafinado" in 12th
> position.  But I like to take the path of least
> resistance.  For me that's the XB-Melody.

The path of least resistance on anything where the melody is highly chromatic, and it's important to play the melody as written, is almost always a chromatic harmonica, sometimes a specially tuned diatonic, more rarely a stock diatonic.

When the player can choose the notes, a diatonic of some sort might be the first choice.  When the melody dictates the notes, and the melody is highly chromatic, the chromatic is the first choice.

By way of illustration, compare the recordings of "Night in Tunisia" made available on this list recently by players using diatonics (including XB-40) and chromatic.  The improvisations on diatonic sounded much better than the head choruses.  Some of the diatonic improvs sounded like something I'd be glad to play in front of an experienced bebop trumpeter or saxophonist; none of the diatonic head choruses did.

I note that Mojo Red explained in his message that his hands weren't free when he played "Summertime".  Diatonic might be the only viable choice in that case.  I'd start by looking at the most frequently used scale in the piece, keeping in mind that my note choices might be very limited if the chords wander far from home, and compare that scale to the diatonics available.

Thanks, RH