RE: [Harp-L] Path of Least Resistance (was Position Perception)

<snip>
In essesnce, my solution was the "path of least
resistance."

I wonder how many others out there go through
similar shenanigans when tackling a new song. It
took me quite a while to find what worked for me. I
went throught the same process when learning
"Nobody Knows You" (with help, finally, from Peter
Ruth), "Willin'" (the Little Feat song), and other
non-blues type tunes.

Do others go through this process? If so, is there
more of a method to your madness than the blind
trial-and-error I use?

Harpin' in Colorado,
--Ken M.

I am in awe of the people who can play anything on a C diatonic, but that is never a path I could go down. I want to play my tunes the easiest way possible, which for me means no overblows and minimal bending-to-get-missing-notes (bending for expression is an entirely different matter). I need to concentrate on clean expression and articulation and a good, driving rhythm in my Irish dance-tunes. I'm nowhere near good enough at overblows or accurate/crisp enough with my bends in fast tunes to incorporate them yet still achieve those goals. Sometimes there will be a tune that could be played in first position but which would also work in Mixolydian mode, second position. It could be slightly more awkward to play it in 2nd but to do so would be preferable if the tune was in a medley with another first-position tune - you then have a key-change (OK guys - mode-change) in the medley which gives added lift. So you could be taking the path of slightly-less-than-least-resistance for musical reasons (if you blues-types are wondering why I regard second position as slightly harder, remember that I'm talking about playing fast melodies way up the harp, in the second and third octaves). Most people I know of who play Irish (including Messrs Power and Conway) use Paddy Richter tuning to get the missing 6th note in the lowest octave, even though it's possible to get the note by bending. That's kind of an example of "least resistance." If it's good enough for those two guys it's good enough for me!

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm READ review of my CD: http://www.irishmusicreview.com/sshaw.htm