Re: [Harp-L] using amp simulator

Fernando wrote:
"Starting with the RP200 is not a bad idea, but for 30 to 50 $ plus
you get the RPx400, which is much more versatile (more inputs, outputs +
usb)... The expression pedal makes a lot of sense to me, although I
haven't found a setting where it is usable."

I agree that the RPx400 offers more, for more money of course.  Among
other things, you can inteface the RPx400 directly to a computer via USB
for both patch editing and recording.  The RPx400 also has an XLR input,
which is very handy for people who use microphones.  However, simpler is
better for some people, and the RP200 is certainly simpler.  I've never
felt that I was held back by the feature set on the RP200.

The expression pedal is WAY underused by most players.  That pedal can
be assigned to ANY effect parameter.  Among other things, that means
that ANY effect -- delay, chorus, flange, detuning, pitch shift, rotary
speaker, etc. -- can be brought in and out of the mix under foot
control.  This means that any given patch programmed into the unit can
produce a very wide range of sounds -- just bring the effect up or down
via the pedal.  Want a different sound on the chorus than on the verse?
Use the expression pedal.  Want to put a big delay sound or double the
pitch one octave down on JUST ONE NOTE in the middle of a line?  Use the
expression pedal.

The expression pedal is key to getting the most out of these devices.
For that reason, there's a much bigger difference in basic usefulness
between the RP50, 80 and 100 - which have no pedal -- and the RP200 --
which has a pedal -- than there is between the RP200 and the RPx400,
which both have pedals.

The 200 and x400 share the same basic sound engine, so no big difference
there.

All that said, I'm sure the USB and XLR are very good things to have,
and if you can afford the extra money, I'd probably pick up the RPx400.
I'm sure plenty of them are available used at a good discount.

Regards, Richard Hunter
http://hunterharp.com
Latest CD release http://hunterharp.com/goodmain.html