Re: [Harp-L] abacci tune site (was Help a learner)

I decided to look at the D-harp section of this site for comparison.

Several of the tunes that are given in the A-harp section in keys of A
(in first position) and D (in 12th) show up in the D section as well.
They're in the same keys but with the postion adjusted to the harp, so
that the D tunes are now in first position and the A tunes in second
position.

More and more it looks like some sort of automated wholesale approach
was used to generate this tab. While the metholodgy appears quite
sophisticated and the tab doesn't appear to be factually wrong, the
results are sometimes rather strange and needlessly difficult to play.

I'm not condemning this resource. But it does require care in approach.
In recommending it to a beginner I would point them only to specific
examples that I've already checked out.

Winslow

--- Barbara Butler <bsvb@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Monday, March 7, 2005, at 12:53 PM, Winslow Yerxa wrote:
>
> Barbara Butler wrote:
>
> Steve and Thurg are both spot on. ?ou might also try this site
> http://www.abacci.com/music/tabs.asp
>
> Checking this out on the tunes for A-harp, every one I looked at was
> weird in some way.
>
> For instance, Jerry (Ger) the Rigger is written an octave too high,
> requiring difficult bends that are not required an octave lower. Same
> for High Road to Linton. Wind that Shakes the Barley and Fairy Dance
> are both written in 12th position, being in D, with awkward octave
> shifts, when they would both be more easily played on a D-harp.
>
> I wonder if this tab was generated automatically or by a non-player
> who
> was mis-applying fairly detailed information.
>

> Thanks Winslow,
>
> 	I' m sorry I gave out that site.  I saw it and thought it would be
> a good resource, but I have never actually played from it because I
> usually  generate my  own Tab  from sheet music using Charles
> Potter's
> Tab-Slide Guide available from Coast 2 Coast at
> http://coast2coastmusic.com/cgi-bin/cart/CPTSG.html    This works
> great
> for diatonics ( even Paddy Richter if you make a note on the guide)
>
> 	Thanks for setting things straight.
>
> Barbara
> Strath an De' Farm
> http://www.strathande.com