Re: [Harp-L] Help a learner

On Monday, March 7, 2005, at 12:53 PM, Winslow Yerxa wrote:

Barbara Butler wrote:

Steve and Thurg are both spot on. •ou might also try this site
http://www.abacci.com/music/tabs.asp

Checking this out on the tunes for A-harp, every one I looked at was
weird in some way.

For instance, Jerry (Ger) the Rigger is written an octave too high,
requiring difficult bends that are not required an octave lower. Same
for High Road to Linton. Wind that Shakes the Barley and Fairy Dance
are both written in 12th position, being in D, with awkward octave
shifts, when they would both be more easily played on a D-harp.

I wonder if this tab was generated automatically or by a non-player who
was mis-applying fairly detailed information.

Thanks Winslow,

I' m sorry I gave out that site. I saw it and thought it would be a good resource, but I have never actually played from it because I usually generate my own Tab from sheet music using Charles Potter's Tab-Slide Guide available from Coast 2 Coast at
http://coast2coastmusic.com/cgi-bin/cart/CPTSG.html This works great for diatonics ( even Paddy Richter if you make a note on the guide)

Thanks for setting things straight.

Barbara
Strath an De' Farm