Re: [Harp-L] Re: Position Perception

Ansel said:
Perhaps I was trying to articulate (albeit poorly) the obvious--namely,
that learning other positions is just plain hard for us mortals. What
makes it especially tormenting is that each position uses the very same
notes one may already be intimately familiar with from another position,
but which are now suddenly foreign only because they are played in a
different sequence. It doesn't matter if one knows second position inside
and out. Learning fourth position is like learning second for the first
time. That's what makes positions so elusive, and so maddening.

Thats probably because we don't really know what we are doing. Most of us jumped right in and started to play by memorizing tunes and scales or riffs and by playing by ear. This works great for guitar as one can transpose by simply moving up or down the neck, but for diatonic harmonica its not trivial at all because the three octaves are disposed differently.

The other thing that is bad, most of us (me first) have no idea what notes we are "on" as we are playing by muscle memory even when improvising. In fact, we don't even know (conciously) what hole we are on at any given time. We are the "unconcious". How can we jump 2 semitones up if we don't know where we are?

It doesn't matter if one knows second position inside
and out.

What do you mean by inside out?

From the third note of a blues scale in G, name the note up 3 semitones from
that and where is it on the harp? and is it part of the blues scale? and is it part of the G major scale?

If you learn where all the notes of the harp are and then learn several scales in relative terms, you will eventually be able to learn new scales and new positions quickly. Yes, the first few will be hard, but it should get easier as you get better at doing the math and knowing the harp. Learning to read music (sight play) might be a good way of learning the notes of the harp.

The ultimate trick is to think of the next note you want to play and to be able to play it in any key, to do that, we have to know where those sounds are.

Pierre.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ansel Barnum" <barnum@xxxxxxxxx>
Perhaps I was trying to articulate (albeit poorly) the obvious--namely,
that learning other positions is just plain hard for us mortals. What
makes it especially tormenting is that each position uses the very same
notes one may already be intimately familiar with from another position,
but which are now suddenly foreign only because they are played in a
different sequence. It doesn't matter if one knows second position inside
and out. Learning fourth position is like learning second for the first
time. That's what makes positions so elusive, and so maddening.

Hence my question below which sought a holistic perception of the harp
that transcends the boundaries of position playing/thinking. I don't know
if what I'm talking about is the result of mastery or hallucinogens.
Either way, your advice is unequivocal: Each position has new relations
between notes, and each relation must be learned over and over and over
again.

Thanks,

Ansel