RE: [Harp-L] Blowing out a harp (was Sound of Hohner)

In the past I have only had one 4 blow reed crap out on me - ever - and
this was before I knew anything about harp modding, etc. It was on a Pro
Harp with the thinner MS reed plates.

The SP20's I have, I honestly can't remember how long I have had them -
I am a frequent player - and many times I have to "compete" with the
usual "it goes up to 12" guitarists. I really don't beat on them - but
am sometimes required to blow and draw much harder than usual just to be
heard.

I have found that I prefer the thicker MS reed plates in the harps I
hold dear. They don't seem to break for me. Two years and counting since
I switched.

Having said that - I am shifting my preferred harp from these MS plates
to stock Marine Band.

Why? Because I got ahold of a Tim Moyer custom. It's honestly the finest
harp I have ever played - and I usually pride myself for being able to
massage my own harps to my own specs. Tim Moyer has exceeded my
expectations. He has also raised the bar for me in my own endevours to
achieve the quality he imbues into his product. It's all very inspiring.
It's the direction I want to go.

So, for me the answer to how long harps last is USUALLY dependant on
what key I play most. And to those keys, I usually bring the back up
along to the gig. My most frequently used harps last well over a year
MAYBE two - since I rarely cause them to just break from playing... I
break them by trying to mod them more than I do from playing them.

I have a hard attack, and have to sometimes "red-line" the harps - and
still don't blow 'em out every few months. I have been playing for ...
hmm.... nearly 30 years. I still have my first "Puck" with a wooden
comb. It's well out of tune, and beat. So 30 years is my final answer.
heh.