[Harp-L] Old timers used advanced techs -- just hear their records

Nobody ever used an overblow in the old time blues -- if you don't count
Blues Birdhead in 1929. And I'm just as sure that if HE stumbled upon an overblow
(probably just another choked note [or bent note] to him) there is no doubt in
my mind that others did too.

Because if a sound is on record, anybody can hear and KNOW that note is
possible.

Only a few thousand people try to immitate Little Walter and they never met
him, they only heard his records.

If Blues Birdhead (James Simons) played the first overblow on record in 1929
on his "Mean Low blues" (at the 47th second of the performance, an E in hole 6
on a harmonica tuned in F sharp).

"Harmonica Blues MIssissippi - Memphis - Chicago 1927-1941 (Fremeaux &
Associes SA 1995) This is a great double disc (18 tunes on each disc) set that has
considerable liner notes in French but also some in English as well as a
section detailing  harp postion, harp key, song key.

For all you out there who Little Walter invented blues harp, this is a good
place to start with Sonny Boy I and other mostly pre-World War II players, why
-- by the way -- everybody who came after had heard on their 78 rpm records.

In a message dated 6/22/2005 9:45:56 AM Eastern Daylight Time,