[Harp-L] Baroque music on chromatic?

As indicated on the list, I'll be making the long trek from

Australia to attend the SPAH convention, something I've been

wanting to do for many years. I'll be involved in various

bluegrass harmonica events, formal and informal, and hope to

catch up on a lifetime of missed harmonica opportunities.

In particular, I look forward to hearing and learning from

the many great masters that I read about on this list. Given

the array of talent at the convention, a question I've

considered for some time may be answered; namely is it

possible to play baroque music convincingly on the chromatic?

My guess is probably not. However I would gladly welcome the

chance to be shown otherwise at the SPAH convention.

My interest in baroque music is more than just a passing

one. For the last decade I've played recorder in a

professional baroque ensemble (harpsichord, soprano voice,

two violins, cello, barqoue flute and recorder), with mostly

conservatorium trained players (unlike myself). Hence I've

gained a reasonable understanding of the baroque repertoire

and performance styles.

Hopefully there will be chromatic players at SPAH who can

show that the instrument is up to the baroque repertoire,

and hence correct my view on this.

Tony Eyers

Australia

http://www.harmonicatunes.com