[Harp-L] Re: Harp practice (warning--long)

On Jul 30, 2005, at 9:42 AM, W8BEZ@xxxxxxx wrote:

Hi, Very good advice, keep harpin'    AL Garden City Harmonica Club in Michigan..

Hi Al, I don't know what advice I may have given, as I shoot off my mouth too much as it is, but I said something the other day that might be taken as smart-assed, so I apologize because it wasn't meant the way it may have been construed. And so, I will also share it with the group.

Soothe me baby, soothe me. Soothe me with your kindness. You've got the kind of love that's soothing to me. THIS is what music is supposed to be, plain and simple, a 'break' in the drudge.

I have this pet theory called "a couple drunk guys". Eons ago, there were these guys who were cracking coal all day and that night they got drunk. (btw, I also feel religion started this way). In any case, these guys were sitting around saying "there HAS to be a better/easier way to make a living. One of them had noticed that people played rudumentary instruments and everyone sat around relaxing, chilling out, and recuperating from the hard days work. It was soothing. Another one felt that if THEY could practice these instruments a 'little' harder than the next guy and get good with them, they might be able to score food & beverage from the other sojourners. The third one felt that they could travel the country side and play their instruments for a few dinar. Hey, it's better than going down in the dank dark mine, right? Fresh air, no broken bones, no lungs full of torch soot or rock dust.

And so it went. Many years went by and these traveling musicians played castles, towns, villages, fairs, etc. It became apparent that the music they were playing had to be written down some way so as not to 'loose' it. This is where the REAL practicing comes in. In order to be able to do their repitoire over and over, the musicians had to have a reference point. Practicing became a matter of going over this music repeatedly so as to make a good showing. Now there was ALWAYS someone who would either practice longer hours, OR more structuredly, and this would show in their performance. Someone was ALWAYS pushing for more tone, more sound, more timbre, more feeling, more unusual combinations of notes.

Meanwhile some music is (by it's very nature) soothing in one way or another. People are basically animals and it has been proven that certain music has certain effects on them. A company that want's to increase production may use up-tempo music. Light classical seems to increase milk & egg production.

Over a period of time, music has been stretched, mutilated, squeezed at the whim not only of the people writing it, but also the ones playing it. EVERY musician would like to be better. Every musician would like to have a distinctive sound/style. Every musician would like to be known as 'themselves. Oh yes, they may emulate a particular person, or eschew to a certain style, but there's nothing like being yourself AND being known as 'You'. There's a big difference between being Joe Schmutalatz and Robt. (the bon-vivant) Bonfiglio.

But there's no reason to crumble under the pressure of having to be outstanding. At least not TODAY. What you need to do is ask yourself "What do I want to accomplish"? What are my weak points? What are my strong points? Where am I getting hung-up? What can I work on TODAY?

When ever you reach a rut, quit smacking your head into a wall and start analyzing the rut. Remember, some people have attributes going for them that others don't. Similarly, the ones that don't have your attributes, have ones of their own. Everyone is not equal (no matter WHAT the Bill of Rights says), be it physically, mentally, spiritually, socialogically, anthropoligically..you get the picture. Step back, take a deep breath, and logic it all out. I once wrote a list of 30 or so scaps which would be beneficial to have to be a great talent. Things like musicality, rythm, breathing, reading ability, fluid joints, high palate, flexible mouth parts, etc.etc.

When I say take a break, I mean it in the vernacular. A break can be as long or as short as YOU (the person that matters) deem sufficient. YOU have to decide WHERE you are at, and where you want to go. It's not like a hundred people are standing on a train platform in Providence R.I. and EVERYONE is going to Grand Central in N.Y.C. You have your own destination. You have to decide your schedule. You have to decide your practice regime. Some players are financially well off and can devote all their time to a project. Some are single and can ALSO devote their time to what they want. Some players have to work, Some have family.

Unlike Taco-Bell, where no matter what you order, the 'filler' ingredients are all the same, WE are not the same.

smokey-joe