Re: [Harp-L] Harp practice

At 03:29 PM 7/28/2005, Paul Routledge wrote:

I was wondering how everybody else structures their practice?

The following message was posted by Robert Bonfiglio some time ago. Most people will not or cannot devote the amount of time that he discusses, but the suggestion is made that the proportions of types of practice should be maintained. Even if one doesn't like that degree or type of structuring, perhaps some of his suggestions would be of benefit. I don't agree or disagree with RB; I just pass it on. It certainly seems to have worked for him...

Cdon

QUOTE:

Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 19:35:43 -0700
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
From: bon@xxxxxxxxxx (Robert Bonfiglio)
Subject: Bonfiglio: How to practice

Dear List,

I got a lot of emails on just how to practice. This practice method comes from my coach, Andrew Lolya, who was first flute of the New York City Ballet for about 38 years and studied with the first flute of the Philadelphia Orchestra - so it is passed down from wind players for a long time.

4 hours of practice is split. Less time and the proportions remain the same.
        One hour scales and arpeggios
        One hour etudes or rhythm work
        One hour duets
        One hour work on a piece

For a blues or jazz player - Work with a sax player as a coach. Play scales and arps with a metronome. Let our etudes be tongue work and corner switches or specific pitch bends; play faster and louder over years.

For a blues or jazz player - duets could be substituted for - use blowing over changes and there are tons of CD's one can now buy for that purpose plus machines that play background. Jazz duets are available.

Beat the piece you work on into the ground til you know it backwards and forwards.

Harmonically yours,
BONFIGLIO

END QUOTE