Re: [Harp-L] Harp practice

My practice tends to encompass three areas: 1] Old technique, 2] New Technique, 3] Improvisational skills. How much time I spend on each area depends on many factors, some non-musical [How busy am I with my job,etc]
Old Technique would include scales and arpeggios I already know and am practicing to gain speed, fluidity, etc....this would include bending and overblowing/drawing practice to maintain and increase my control...practicing different types of vibrato...songs I'm working on to perform, like when I get ready to perform the National Anthem at my high school's [I'm a teacher] ball games...tongue blocking techniques...old licks and tricks I want to polish...etc
New Techniques would include, well, anything new I'm working on. Like right now I'm  concentrating on mastering all 12 major and minor scales on the chromatic, along with the arpeggios....I'm also working--though not hard enough--on learning a Pat Ramsey solo on the diatonic [by the way, I'm blown away by how fast and clean he can play the most tricky bends, like the 3 hole 1/2 step bend, in context, at fast tempo, with feeling...it's part of what makes him such a great player...he is one of the most elegant fast players in the blues...his lines are often incredibly fast, but they are so musical!]
Improvistion practice includes jamming along with CDs, jamming along with Jamey Abersold CDs, and sometimes just sitting and playing by myself.
Anyway, this is what and how I practice...and I too sometimes take a break....in fact, I'd be a lot better if I hadn't taken so many breaks over the years :-)
WVa Bob