[Harp-L] more listening to not harp

Just got a Soul Stirrers CD (a cappella gospel) called
Shine On Me featuring R.H. Harris circa 1950 (this was
before Sam Cooke joined the group).

It struck me while I was listening that the mutual
support in the vocals was very much like playing harp
support.  I'm not educated in music, but the "echoing
with a twist" of a vocal line seems like a great
example of how to add emotional intensity to a song.
I've lately thought that it would be great to be part
of a gospel vocal group.  In a sense I think I already
am when playing harp with a local blues/rock/jam
group.  It seems like there are real similarities --
not just in that vocal echoing but in how all the
gospel voices support the groove and add intensity.

So, I highly recommend the CD for pure enjoyment, and
it may also influence your harp playing.
--john k.

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs