Re: [Harp-L] Appropriate compensation for gigs

Once again Chris nails it.

The problem as I se it is that music is no longer seen as a profession. Most people, (including most club owners--as much as I love some of them) think of musicians as hobbiests.

Most clubs no longer have enough focus that the club itself has fans. A blues club in my area that was once known as a hot blues venue started bringing in rock acts to "attract the kids" now the hard-core blues fans don't go and the only crowds are what the band brings. You can't go there cold and expect to win over the club's regulars because there aren't any. I remember a time when any decent club had a base audience who went to the club on spec because the club brought in good bands. You could go into the club and if you were and if you were any good, you could walk out with fifty or a hundred new fans.

sigh

maurice

maurice richard libby
aka Whiteboy Slim