Re: [Harp-L] money

Business is business..

Exactly, When I was a small child, I would go to the corner store and get an ice cream cone. I always paid for it. When I got married, there were flowers and liquor on the groom's list of things to buy...so I did. When family members died, I had to pay for the funerals. I don't recall ever getting a free ride. I don't recall ever being a dead-beat.

Put it this way. Let's say you need to go to the doctors. Let's say there's a diploma on the wall saying the saw-bones graduated. Do any of you ever remember getting a 'deal' because the doctor was 129th out of a class of 130 instead of 38th out of 130 (or 11th)? How about you buy a refridgerator, and instead of lasting 15 years, it only lasts 10? Did you only have to pay 2/3 as much for it? No I don't think you got THAT break. This may be an over simplification, but what the hell club is SO high and mighty that they can't get off their tight ass and toss some chump change to the band. While 'I' (personally) feel we need BOTH types of venue (those where you are paid AND those where you play for tips/free/bennies), this seems to be getting out of hand. If you're a decent player, you should get something.

I'm not saying the bars/clubs need to shell out big bucks. Just 'Something' .Something commensurate with the situation at hand.

Once a place finds out they can get you for nothing or next to nothing, they will do it. Isn't there a problem now with the food and beverage industry in that many refuse to pay an honest wage, get away with paying under the minimum set by law, refuse to put anyone on for 40 hours because they WON't pay benefits, have waitresses working for tips only. Meanwhile, I don't think they would appreciate it if they had to trade in THEIR new Volvo for a 10 year old Chevy that breaks down all the time and costs the poor employee every meager dime they make just to get to that crummy job in the first place.

.if the club/bar has the cash register on while you
play a fair wage is required.

Amen amen, I say unto you/

Right. If you're not making crabs playing these joints, how the hell are you going to be able to afford to promote yourself.

While I believe that self promotion and a
following is a great negotiating tool I also feel that the venue owner bears
the main responsibility of getting seats filled.

Right. What ever happened to the VENUE doing some of the leg work. Is the current attitude "Well, since we're NOT paying you, YOU have to do all the leg work and PROVE you are worthy of playing at our place....for which, remember, we're NOT paying you". How ludicrous.

If the roast beef special
gets advertised to bring in the crowd so should the entertainment! Too many
people associate trying to make money as a negative for a musician "if they
really love the music". That's a bunch of bull..chronic "give-it-away"
musicians spoil the club owners and hurt the musicians earning potential.

Right.

Bottom line: amps aren't free, mic's aren't free, harps aren't free.yada
yada yada. You don't have to be a superstar to expect to get paid if you are
in the mix of food and drinks being sold FOR PROFIT!

Right. smo-joe

Warren Bee

__