Re: [Harp-L] Clint Black

The first Clint Black tune I heard with harmonica in it was "Put Yourself in My Shoes". I was immediately impressed. (The other thing I liked, of course, was none of the other (friendly but competing) local country bands at the time could do the tune real justice since any attempt to do the intro with another instrument sounded, well, "not enough like the original tune" <grin>. That tune was gift to country bands with harp players in 'em.

He's not the fastest, bluesiest, or the most technically competent--but he is appropriately fast enough for his style of music, very clean and certainly proficient, and tasteful. His best licks are only readily accessible (and even that's only with a few good run-throughs) by players that are already capable of clean fluidity, although one need not be a total harmonica "rocket scientist".

I hadn't heard "State of Mind" until a few weeks ago at a friends place (I still play a reasonable amount of country harp these days and am always looking for cool country harp tunes) and again I loved what I heard.

I simply like what I hear from him, and I certainly respect his playing.

Ron